Monday, August 1, 2011

Remembering my Bouquet

I was planning to write about my wedding bouquet last week but since we've been out visiting my mother-in-law over the weekend, the thought just completely disappeared.

But thanks to Diane's beautiful post, it all came back.... If you want to read and see flourishing shasta daisies, phlox, irises, daylilies, coneflowers and whatnot perennials, please do visit her blog here.

Anyway, I fell in love with hydrangeas when I first saw them in Kidapawan City, when we camped at the foot of Mt. Apo as a part of our Science week way back in 6th grade. So when I got married, all I could think of are hydrangeas.


we placed these baskets along the aisles.

We didn't have much during the wedding so most of the stuff were DIY's. We bought cheap baskets, glued purple and golden sinamay and viola-





These are the principal sponsors' corsage... each was a mixture of Malasian mumps, orchids, baby's breaths, dancing ladies, laces and ribbons...


our florist kindly gave us free rose petals for the flower girls' baskets.


together with my friends, the sister of my sister-in-law, we all came up with these..


this is the maid of honor's bouquet


we had to order the hydrangeas from Tupi, South Cotabato, the flower haven of South Central Mindanao. We were experiencing El Nino back then so we had trouble finding healthy hydrangeas. In fact they were overpriced. But, thanks to one of my aunts who solicited hydrangeas from her neighbors in her hometown.

So you can really imagine my glee when the brother-in-law of my sister-in-law handed me this! :)


sadly, the florist at my reception suggested that I place my bouquet in the fridge...
and since I didn't know anything about preserving flowers back then, my bouquet turned out to be....



THIS.....  
on my wedding day....

yeah.. all because I thought him to be an "expert" at everything...
well, I am guessing now that he really had placed flowers in the fridge before since the roses had survived......

but as for my hydrangeas.... never mind....

hmmm... perhaps with photoshop this wilted bouquet will turn out fine... 

do you have any suggestions?

6 comments:

  1. Hi Cecile,

    First of all, imagine my surprize when the linked 'Diane' turned out to be me! Thank you VERY much for that lovely surprize and for your comments about my blog.

    What a great idea to post about your wedding flowers. They are all beautiful! And a lovely range of exotic (orchids) to good old cottage-garden hydrangeas! The hydrangeas and roses make a lovely duo. I would have thought it fine to put them in the fridge, as well, especially if a florist said to!

    I have not tried making my hydrangeas blue. Do you know how to do that?

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Diane,

    Nah, it's none at all. If it not for you I would have racked my brains out to think of a new post.

    Anyway, I haven't tried making hydrangeas blue.That's because all we have here are blue ones. But based from what I've read, you have to make the soil more acidic like adding lime to turn your pink hydrangeas into shades of blue or purple.

    I'll try planting one this year and see if it fits my town's very hot weather. And I'll try to make the soil's pH more basic so that I'll have beautiful pink ones like yours.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too would have thought that putting them in the fridge would "keep" them...maybe hydrangeas are different. We can't grow hydrangeas here but I do love them so...
    xo
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Caroline,

    Maybe there really is a fridge for flowers. Oh yes there is! I can remember one now in the American Pie wedding movie when all the flowers wilted when one of the characters accidentally unplugged the thing. Perhaps if I put it in the vegetable bin they'll be saved.. hmmm...


    Sad to hear that you can't grow hydrangeas in Arizona. I'll try growing them this year and see if they bloom.

    Thanks for dropping by! :)

    Cecile

    ReplyDelete
  5. I work on photoshop day-in, day-out.

    There ain't nothin' it can't fix!!!

    I love hydrangeas, so do the chickens unfortunately...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhh, I've been to Tupi and visited one of the flower farms there called Eden's flower farm , but I am not quite sure if they have hydrangeas there.

    ReplyDelete